About the Club

The earliest records of the Club are photos dated in the 1920’s. In those days the Club was known as Manurewa Cricket and Hockey Club Inc. Located at War Memorial Park on Gibbs Road in Manurewa the Club catered for Cricket players during the summer months and Hockey players during the winter months.

For 15 years Manurewa Cricket Club played in the City and Suburban competition, winning the championship in 1929. After the war during which time the club was in recess they joined the Auckland Cricket Association, but went into recess again in 1951. In 1953 Manurewa Cricket Club joined the Franklin Cricket Association, where they won its grade in the first year and was runner up in the next despite only having 10 regular players. It was found that the club was losing members through the farming hours of cricket that was being played at Franklin, and so after 30 years Manurewa went back to compete in the City and Suburban competition.

A move from grass fields to artificial surfaces for Hockey saw the Hockey side of the Club eventually disbanded. The Club then renamed itself the Manurewa Cricket Club Inc. In 1965 the amalgamation of the Manurewa County and the Manurewa Borough formed the Manukau City Council. The Club then adopted a trading name of Manukau City Cricket Club to remain consistent with our local council changes and to increase the player catchment area further afield from the boundaries of the Manurewa area.

These days Manukau City Cricket club competes in the Counties Manukau Cricket Association competition, where the club has a number of senior and junior teams that provides cricket for school children through secondary school to senior grades.
 

  • Lonely Yak
  • Kukri
  • South Auckland Motors
  • Pub Charity
  • Cricket Express
©2020 Manukau City Cricket Club | Web Design by Lonely Yak